Salem Debate Club, Salem, Oregon
Mr. Ray Engel (email
West Salem, Oregon
Meeting Dates and Times
Salem Debate Club typically meets every other Tuesday during the debate season from January Through April. Club meetings run from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM. Contact Mr. Engel for the specific schedule for the current season.
Salem Debate Club meetings are specifically geared towards preparing debaters for CCNW's competitive debate events. Typical club activities include general discussions regarding the Resolution topic, analysis of particular debate cases, and practice in-club debates. Parental participaiton is excpected, especially for in-club debate practices.
Introduction to Debate Class
The Salem Debate Club "Intro" class consists of an 11 week course, meeting once a week, on Tuesday evenings from 7 PM to 9 PM in West Salem. The first class typically occurs in mid-late September and the class runs through early December. The list below provides a summary of the course content. Parents are encouraged to attend with their students. All course materials can be previewed at this web site. (Debate Class Materials
- Week 1
- Week 2
- Week 3
- Week 4
- Week 5
- Week 6
- Week 7
- Week 8
- Week 9
- Week 10
- Week 11
- Class introduction and Overview.
- Introduction to US Government Organization and Function.
- Introduction to Economic Fundamentals.
- Policy Debate Round Overview. Introductory Logic.
- Inductive Logic. Evidence and How to Research.
- Logical Fallacies. Affirmative Debate Case Construction.
- The Debate Decision Criteria - The Stock Issues.
- Negative Argumentation. Four-Point Refutation.
- Speaker Responsibilities, Speech and Delivery.
- Cross Examination. Course Review.
- Student In-Class Debates.